My Priority for the New Year – Saving Money in 2010
This is officially my first blog post as an unemployed individual! Â I AM FREE!!!
I have decided not to go corporate anytime soon. Â I vowed to myself to have at least two months of “me” time / vacation before considering the possibility of applying for a company and industry I would want to be in again. Â Even so, I still think I’d stop working and focus on my blogging and internet marketing since I still earn at least enough to keep me alive and fund my hobbies.
Although, I think I would also need to “save” more. Â To be honest, I don’t have solid savings from the 2 years I worked in a company (shame). Â Yes! Â I am poor, I have no savings. Â I spent them all on gadgets and travel. Â I said to myself that I will spend and enjoy the earnings I had first before I save and plan for my serious future. Â 😉
Good thing nothing major of a tragedy happened to me, if not, I don’t have enough money to pay for unexpected expenditures!
For the new year, I think my focus should be more on making my financials stable. Â It’s time I think of allotting some of my earnings to savings. Â This way, I can pay for any unexpected future expenditures!
I came across this article online on Ways to save money. Â It’s a good read actually and I am super guilty for violating the 7 ways on how an individual can save money. Â I am not a house buddy and lately I have been abusing my credit card (due to my many travels). Â If you know me, Â you’ll agree that I love my car and I love driving around! Â Blah, this is another savings killer as I often take this out just to drive around and discover new places. Â It’s all good but for the new year, I think I’m cutting down on this.
Here are my personal list on ways on saving money:
1. Â I should wash my own car. Â Since I would have all the free time I need for the new year, I thought, why not clean my own car? Â It’s a win-win situation! Â I can save from paying people to wash my car. Â Not only that, it would also serve as an “exercise” for me. Â I also just need to buy a wax for my car and in this case I think I can save more than having to have it “Waxed and washed” by carwash stores for PHP 375.
2. Â I think it’s also time to purchase the best car insurance. Â Ever since the Ondoy tragedy here in the Philippines, car owners have been regretting that they did not purchase the car insurance with “force majeur” (acts of God) coverage. Â Since I don’t want to spend major on “unexpected expenses” I think I’ll just take the safe side and purchase a nice insurance in case another tragedy like that will happen again. Â Also, since I’m the kind of driver who swerves a lot and I always get my mom worried. Â Maybe I should let her purchase the car insurance for me instead… That will be a big savings for me lol
3. Â Another way to save is not to ignore and clip coupons. Â This should actually stretch our dollars or pesos. Â I have lots of these coupons on the planner that I bought. Â I often forget to bring them when I shop though. Â I guess I should just think about something hard first before I purchase something. Â I might have coupons for the things I buy that would really give me great savings. Â $10 worth of savings is big enough for me if converted to Pesos. Â That would allow me to buy one decent meal already. Â Or, I could use it to pay for my url renewal. Â Many sites offer coupons as well to those digitally and web savvy like me.
4. Â Gadget diet. Â I think for now, I have all my “necessary” gadgets. Â One slr, 2 lenses, a compact cam, a laptom, 2 cool phones. Â Those are my necessities. Â Although, I am so tempted to buy a netbook, I kept on thinking I really don’t need it.
5. Â Cook food or dine home. Â Since I won’t have a job. Â I’ll stay home and take advantage of my mom’s cooking. Â She pays for groceries. Â Why do I need to dine out? 😛
6. Â Pick travels. Â I think I should travel less to the places I have been to and go to places I haven’t been to instead.
7. Â Cut on expensive entertainment. Â I love watching movies, but I have cable at home that shows lots of movies as well. Â I can also borrow DVDs from friends instead of going to the cinema to watch every latest cool movie showing.
These 7 are the things I have thought of for myself for now. Â I shall add the list if I think of more. Â All seven items may not apply to you but I bet you also have one common goal like me. Â How about you? Â Any money saving tips you can share for 2010?