The Pindangan Ruins in Barangay Parian (La Union Church Ruins)
Pindangan was derived from the Ilocano word “Pindang” which is a traditional method of drying fish in the locality. Pindangan is also the name of the settlement between the two sitios San Vicente de Balanac and San Guillermo de Dalangdang. Both sitios were desiring for mutual protection against their assailants, pirates and headhunters trhough Fr. Jose Torres in 1759.
The church is really old. It was build on May 6, 1786 and is also the symbol of the union of the two sitios. The church, as you can see on the pictures below, is no longer standing and was damaged during an earthquake that occurred in the year 1892. Since then, the ruins remained uncovered so that people can see and appreciate it. The ruins are well preserved after two centuries and still continues to look stunning despite the fact that only the buttresses are what’s left of it. The soil around the area of the ruins must be very fertile as it is covered by green grass and many trees around.
*All photos are copyrighted. Ask permission before grabbing photos taken by Nikon D40 and Panasonic Lumix LZ10. For more details of the pictures, click image
[flickr album=72157624490256929 num=20 size=Square]
Up next on my Thunderbird Resort Adventure Series is the La Union Botanical Gardens!
You Might Also Like:
- A Series of Adventures at Thunderbird Resorts at Poro Point San Fernando La Union
- Vigan to Baguio: Sta Maria Church, Banauang Bridge, Session Road, Bencab Museum
- La Preciosa, Malacanang of the North, Paoay Lake, Paoay Church, Marcos Museum, Sitio Remedios
- Discovering Thunderbird Resorts at Poro Point La Union
- Surfing Big Waves in La Union
- La Union Botanical Garden and Butterfly Photography
- La Union Aug Long Weekend – Day 2
- La Union Aug Long Weekend – Day 1
- Side Trip La Union: MaCho Temple
- Nestea Fit Camp Hot 2010 Day 2 – Frisbee with Derek Ramsay and the Hotties