CONCLUSION: Great function at reasonable price!
AEE Magicam Underwater and Sports Camera
I got a chance to review the new AEE Magicam underwater and sports camera. It’s less known to the public than GoPro here in Manila, but after using it, I conclude that it’s a pretty good contender.
Pricing is not yet set here in the Philippines since it is new but it will soon be available in Pixel Pro. It should cost lesser than the GoPro and unlike GoPro which doesn’t include the LCD attachment in the initial purchase, this AEE does. It also comes with more accessories included in the box such as the remote control, lcd monitor and extra battery pack. For GoPro, you would have to buy these separately.
Mounting and Installation on a Surfboard
I installed everything myself! You need to buy an extra accessory for surf board mount. GoPro uses suction tube, whereas AEE uses 3M adhesive. Mind you, this adhesive is pretty strong. It’s pretty safe especially if it’s new. It comes with two parts so that in case one gets detached, you still have another one clinging to your camera. Be sure to have that safety thread hold on 🙂
Installation was very easy. Just make sure the board’s surface is dry, wax-free, dirt free. Clean it well first before sticking the 3M mount.
Comes in 2 pieces, in case one part gets ripped. Unlike the suction where although secure, when it’s gone – it’s gone.
*thank you so much to Kristel for the photos above 🙂
AEE Magciam sports camera put to test (Surfing Video)
AEE Magicam SD21 Specs
- With LCD glass screen: real-time display various status
- External TFT display screen， real-time display video content or play recorded content
- With IP68 standard waterproof case, and the waterproof depth is 60 meters, two kinds of housing design
- Support setting, replay, delete ect. operations with connecting to 1.5″ TFT display screen
- With built-in dismountable high-capacity lithium battery, it can be re-charged
- HD video recording/photo snapping function with various models
- Self-time function with front indicator and timing recording
- Laser indicator function make record and snapshot easlier.
- 1/3 inch CMOS sensor 8.0 Mega Pixels
- Recording MOV videos, to be directly played by PC or uploaded onto video websites
- Auto exposure, auto white balance, easy to operate;
- F/3.0 aperture, and support nightshot
- 10x Digital zoom
- 170°extra-large wide-angle lens
- Auto recording when acceleration occurring (function as the black box of the car) *optional
- Auto stand-by for power saving
- Supporting fast forward and fast rewind, and skipping of contents in the next segment (when connecting with TFT screen player)
- Supporting time setting (RTC function) and time superposition function;
- Supporting USB2.0;
- Built-in microphone, forming high-quality stereo voice recording effect
- HDMI output, AV-OUT function
- Support TF card (max. 64G)
- Build-in buzzer for sound indicator
- Photo 180 degree reversal function
- Low battery alert
- Memory capacity alert
- Wireless remoter (record, stop, photo snap, laser indicator)
- Various sport accessories, truly realizing the video recording of sports;
- Good seismic resistance;
- Support system: Windows 98SE/2000/Me/XP/Vista/Mac OS
- Pixel: 8.0M CMOS SENSOR(3200*2400)
- View Angle:170°
- Snap mode:3M(2048*1536)/5M(2560*1920)/8M(3200*2400)
- Record mode:1080P 720P WVGA QVGA
- Frame rate:1080P/30fps 720P/30fps WVGA/60fps QVGA/30fps
- Record format: MOV(H.264 video compression)
- Snap format:JPEG
- Memory medium: Micro SD/MMC(Max 64GB SDHC)
- Store Consumption:(2GB SD card) Snapshot3M(1900pcs) 5M(1160pcs) 8M(770pcs); Record:720P/60min, WVGA/135min
- Display: LCD screen
- laser power:1MW
- digital zoom : 4x
- AV OUT :support NTSC/PAL VGA and HDMI
- USB Jack: USB2.0
- Microphone: Support Built in 2 Microphones
- Power consumption :500mA@3.7V(MAX)
- Lithium battery :1000mAh
- Record time: 2.5h/ battery
- Operation system: Windows XP SP2/Vista or Above/Mac OS. CPU:Pentium4 1.5GHZ above, RAM:1GB above
- RTC function :support
- Store temperature : -20℃–60℃
- Operation temperature : -10℃—50℃
- Operation humidity : 15~85%RH
AEE Magicam vs GoPro Hero
I have also tried GoPro Hero and by comparison,
- AEE seems sharper than GoPro. Some experts say, it’s GoPro’s case design that ruins its sharpness and color.
- GoPro is wider than AEE. Some experts say, too wide – too distorted and they’d rather have AEE.
for video testing side-by-side between the two cameras, check this out:
As for AEE Magicam, it gives sports and film enthusiasts an an option with great function, quality at a very reasonable price 🙂
AEE Magicam will soon be sold at Pixel Pro branches in Manila.
Follow them on Facebook for updates: https://www.facebook.com/pixelproinc
Comparison Chart between AEE and GoPro Cameras
*click to enlarge chart